Sunday, June 9, 2013

Mala Education

Photo



Photo







hellogiggles: Poehler-oids





















hellogiggles:

Poehler-oids

Photo



Photo



rifles: The Black Sea at Night,1879 Ivan Aivazovsky



rifles:

The Black Sea at Night,1879

Ivan Aivazovsky

lightbluemilk: Death in Vegas - Your Loft My Acid (Fearlessʼ...



lightbluemilk:

Death in Vegas - Your Loft My Acid (Fearlessʼ Trans House mix)

Chris Pine cameo appearance in "Celeste and Jesse Forever"...









Chris Pine cameo appearance in "Celeste and Jesse Forever" (2012)

bohemea: Léa Seydoux



bohemea:

Léa Seydoux

bleedgold: The most popular girls at school photographed by...



bleedgold:

The most popular girls at school photographed by Lauren Greenfield

"This picture was taken in 1998, at a time when people were just beginning to realise what "mean girls" were, and how brutal and cliquey and excluding they could be. I was on an assignment for the New York Times magazine, for a special issue about being 13. They sent me to a place in Minnesota called Edina, right in the heartland of the US. It was so interesting: in a book I did called Fast Forward, I had been taking a look at how kids grow up really quickly in Los Angeles. But in Minnesota, where life is supposedly not as fast-paced as in LA, I found kids who were equally precocious.

This group of girls were in the popular clique at their school. Popularity was very codified: all the kids knew you had to shop in three particular stores, and that you needed to be blond, thin and blue-eyed. The girls were on their way to their first big party of the seventh grade. I spent a lot of time inside one of their houses, photographing them doing their makeup and combing their hair. Then we came outside. In the beautiful late-afternoon light, they lined up and started posing – it was very much their idea rather than mine.

What I love is that each girl has a different personality in the image, and you can read into it what their status is in the clique. Hannah, the third girl in the purple, was actually deemed the most popular girl at school. But she told me later that she wasn't actually sure about her group of friends: they could be mean, and people would get criticised if they didn't look a certain way. Even if you're in the place everyone wants to be in, as she was, there's still a lot of pressure to keep up the grade. In a way, she felt it was bad to be popular." 

bohemea: Léa Seydoux



bohemea:

Léa Seydoux

I cannot get over how much I hated Upstream Color and how everyone is calling it a...

I cannot get over how much I hated Upstream Color and how everyone is calling it a “profound” experience. No, it’s a filmmaker who’s good at emulating Terrance Malick using pretty pictures to try and make it feel like you’re feeling something. What is with this recent rash of indie films about white-ish middle class well educated graphic designers becoming paranoid?

It was sterile and pretentious to me. I have zero problems with films that give you little or no answers at all but this was just empty.

Photo



Upstream Color was the worst.

Upstream Color was the worst.

Photo



suicideblonde: Léa Seydoux photographed by Bryan Adams for Zoo...











suicideblonde:

Léa Seydoux photographed by Bryan Adams for Zoo Magazine #34

Gahh I’m just having one of those days where I feel awfully discouraged about everything, even...

Gahh I’m just having one of those days where I feel awfully discouraged about everything, even the good things that have happened over the past week.

sans-soleil: Safe (dir. Todd Haynes — 1995)







sans-soleil:

Safe (dir. Todd Haynes — 1995)

I highly recommend getting your own apartment ASAP. 

I highly recommend getting your own apartment ASAP. 

Photo



No comments:

Post a Comment